- This event has passed.
8 Limbs Yoga Modular Yoga Teacher Training
Oct 12, 2018| $3,700
The 8 Limbs Modular Training is made up of ten weekend immersions from October through April, with reading and writing assignments to supplement and specialize class hours. This training option offers the opportunity to spread your time commitment and studies over the course of 7 months.
Our training is a great fit for both the aspiring teacher and the dedicated practitioner ready to learn more. Completion of the 10 weekends in our Modular Training are required for those seeking 200-hour RYT (Registered Yoga Teacher) Certification.
Whatever level of commitment you choose, the Modular Training offers excellent opportunities to deepen your yogic knowledge and self-study in a supportive community!
Want to hear about our Teacher Trainings in person? Join us for a free Info Session.
Included in the Modular Training (180 approximate hours of study and practice):
Asana, Pranayama, and Restoratives (90 hours)
- Learn to practice and skillfully teach poses through greater understanding of anatomy, energetic actions and modifications
- Understand specific benefits of postures and pranayama for building a personal practice or for working with a wide range of students
- Practice modifications for injuries and/or special needs
- Adjustments and assisting to meet individual needs
- Learn contraindications for foundational poses
[su_quote cite=”Walt Whitman”]If anything is sacred, the human body is sacred.[/su_quote]
Anatomy and Physiology (25 hours)
- Explore foundational concepts and terminology for the entire body
- Learn the names of common bones and muscles to support popular asanas
- Experiential classes weaving anatomical concepts and principles into poses
- Understand pathology and contraindications to keep your students safe
- Body systems – learn what the organs of the body do and how they are affected by asanas
- Energetic anatomy – nervous system to bandhas and chakras
[su_quote cite=”Vanda Scaravelli”]Teaching is not an imposition of the teacher’s will over that of the pupil, not at all. Teaching starts with freedom and ends with freedom.[/su_quote]
Art of Teaching/Teaching Practice and Sequencing (25 hours)
- Dive into the 8 Limbs Teaching Template to design a diverse range of classes from Intro Series, Basics, Vinyasa Flow, to Anatomical Themed classes
- Art of Teaching classes emphasize teaching, observation and assisting principles
- Monthly practice sessions teaching in small groups or one-on-one
- Create monthly sequences with Mentor feedback
- Learn inclusive language for teaching diverse groups
[su_quote cite=”The Bhagavad Gita”]Yoga is the journey of the self, through the self, to the self.[/su_quote]
Philosophy, Ayurveda and Yogic Lifestyle (25 hours)
- Experience the Yoga sutras and learn how to bring them to life in your in practice, relations, and meditation practice
- Conversation on the Dharma (wisdom teachings) of the Sutras
- Introductory look at meditation and mindfulness. Students will focus on meditation posture, concentration techniques, body-based mindfulness practices and inquiry into the inner workings of the mind.
- Familiarize yourself with the many traditional paths of yoga
- Learn basic Sanskrit for common poses
- How to use the chakras for personal growth and in designing asana classes
- Use the 5 Elements in Ayurveda to understand your unique constitution and create healthy routines
[su_quote cite=”Ammachi”]True happiness is when the love that is within us finds expression in external activities.[/su_quote]
Tools to Thrive as a Teacher (15 hours)
- Business of yoga class to explore the many ways to make a living as a teacher and how to set up realistic goals after graduating
- How to prepare for yoga auditions and apply for teaching positions
- Participate in engaging conversations such as, Holding Inclusive Space class which explores concepts: unpacking unconscious bias, body positive and inclusive language for teachers, and making agreements for safe space
- Conversations in ethics for teachers to understand the value of boundaries, policy and personal practice
8 Limbs Teacher Training Manual
3-6 hours per week reading and homework
Participation in 4 1-hour Q & A sessions with Faculty
- Minimum two years yoga asana practice and 6 months personal practice at start of training
- Attendance of all ten training modules*
- Completion of required reading list and homework
- Attendance at one asana class per week at 8 Limbs (10 during training for out-of-town participants)
- Membership at 8 Limbs is offered to 8 Limbs Teacher Trainees at a discounted rate.
- Passing grade on take home final exam
- Research Paper on topic of choice
Upon completing all requirements, partipants will be awarded a Certificate of Completion. With this they may apply for 200 RYT Certification through The Yoga Alliance.
* Missed classes due to emergency or illness may be made up by listening to recorded classes and following up with instructor.
- Full Payment (made within one month of acceptance): $3,700
- Installment Plan: $3,900 paid in 8 installments of $487.50
To participate in the Installment Plan you must provide a valid credit card. 8 Limbs will automatically charge your credit card on or near the first of the month from October through April:
**Payments one and two will be combined should application be accepted on or after October 1st. Payments will NOT be shifted ahead.
8 Limbs Studio Classes:
Teacher Training Participants are required to take one class per week at an 8 Limbs studio* and will receive a 30% discount on 8 Limbs drop-in class tuition options (excluding purchase of 12-month Auto-Pay and Annual Membership) from October 1-April 1, 2018.
*Participants who reside outside Seattle will be required to take 10 classes at 8 Limbs during their training.
8 Limbs is committed to increasing diversity, accessibility and safety in the Pacific Northwest’s yoga community. This includes a commitment to empowering a yoga teacher pool that is representative of the diversity in our area. As one part of these commitments, 8 Limbs offers partial scholarships to applicants of color, people who identify as LGBTQ+, and/or other under-represented groups. To apply for this scholarship please include a brief description of why you qualify with your application or enrollment.
Retired and active duty military personnel receive a 20% discount on Teacher Training Tuition, space allowing (we have a limited number of scholarships each year to keep our programs viable, please apply early to be considered for this discount).
Classes are held in our Capitol Hill, Phinney Ridge and Wedgwood studios and involve both lecture and practice sessions. We encourage students to bring camping chairs and/or props for lectures, limited yoga props are available at our studios for sitting. Class size ranges depending on enrollment but is limited to 25 students.
We maintain Transcripts for fifty years. To request a transcript please email email@example.com.
- October 12 – 14 and *26-28 2018
- November 16-18, 2018
- November 30 – December 2, 2018
- January 4-6 and *18-20, 2019
- February 8-10, 2019
- March 1-3 and 22-24, 2019
- April *12-14, 2019
- Friday: 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm (Wedgwood)
*(10:30 am – 4:30 pm on 10/26/18, 1/18/19, 4/12/19 at Phinney Ridge)
- Saturday: 9:30 am – 7:00 pm (9:00 am – 6:00 pm on 10/13, 2/9, 4/12) (Phinney Ridge)
- Sunday: 9:00 am – 4:30 pm (Capitol Hill)
Please note: Times subject to changes. Final schedule with locations will be sent out to accepted participants.
Anne Phyfe Palmer, E-RYT 500, RPYT, 8 Limbs Owner & Education Director, Studio Director
Melina Meza, E-RYT 500, Instructor and Teacher Training Director
Chiara Guerrieri, E-RYT 500, Anatomy Instructor
Jenny Hayo, E-RYT 500, Asana, Pranayama, Meditation and Yoga Sutra Instructor
Claudette Evans, E-RYT 500, Sanskrit Instructor
RW Alves, E-RYT 500, C-IAYT
Michelle Johnson, LCSW, RYT 500
REQUIRED READING FOR MODULAR TRAINING
“A Path with Heart” by Jack Kornfield
“Art of Sequencing – Volume Three” by Melina Meza
“Bringing Yoga to Life” by Donna Farhi
“Yoga: The Iyengar Way” by Silva, Mira, and Shyam Mehta
“The Yoga Sutras Workbook” by Vyas Houston
“The Yoga Sutra of Patanjali” by Chip Hartranft
Those interested in additional anatomy texts can consider: “Anatomy of Movement” by Blandine, “Key Muscles of Yoga” and “The Key Poses of Hatha Yoga” by Ray Long, “Yoga Body” by Judith Lasater and “Yoga Anatomy” by Leslie Kaminoff.
Those accepted to the training receive a 10% discount on these books at our studios.
The 8 Limbs Mentorship Program is the next step after taking our 200-hour Training. Our newest offering gives 200-hour participants and graduates an opportunity to work with Teacher Training Instructor and experienced 8 Limbs instructors to develop confidence, fine-tune their teaching, and receive feedback.
8 Limbs Yoga, 8 Limbs Yoga Modular Training, Anne Phyfe Palmer, Chiara Guerrieri, Claudette Evans, Jenny Hayo, Melina Meza, Michelle Johnson, RW Alves, Yoga Teacher Training Seattle