- This event has passed.
[Postponed] Accelerated 200-hour Teacher Training Program
Jul 9, 2017| $3,480
[This Training has been Postponed]
Earn your 200-hour Yoga Teacher Certification in just 4-weeks!
Seattle Yoga Arts has trained some of the most beloved instructors throughout the Pacific Northwest and beyond since 1998. We are thrilled to be offering our first accelerated 200-hour training this summer. The program consists of 45 hours of in-studio participation, Monday through Friday, for a total of 180 hours. An additional 20 non-contact hours will be acquired through homework and other relevant assignments.
In-studio sessions will take place at Seattle Yoga Arts and in a nearby secondary location, and will include lecture, movement, practice teaching, lunch and dinner breaks, and plenty of opportunities to restore and refresh your energy.
2018 Week Program Dates:
- Jul. 9th – Aug. 3rd, 2018
- Monday through Friday
** Join us for an info session from 1:00 – 2:00pm on Sunday, March 18! **
- Mondays 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Tuesdays 8:00 am – 5:00 pm*
- Wednesdays 8:00 am – 12:00 pm*, 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm, 7:00 pm – 9:30 pm
- Thursdays 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Fridays 8:00 am – 12:00 pm*, 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm, 7:00 pm – 9:30 pm
*These sessions will take place at a nearby secondary location. This location is within a 10 minute walk from Seattle Yoga Arts.
200-hour Teacher Training Curriculum
Establish the Daily Habits of a Yogi
- Creating a steady home asana practice
- Learning pranayama
- Establishing a daily meditation practice: sourcing the great well
- Refining your poses: personal guidance on your practice
- Contemplation: sourcing great teachings and your own insight for life wisdom
Foundations of the Yogic Path
- Two great texts of yoga: The Bhagavad Gita and the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
- The root text of Saiva Tantra: The Siva Sutras
- History of yoga, where the poses come from, the evolution of yoga in the West
Dwelling in the Body Vessel
- Fundamental anatomy with Michael Jacobus
- Softening as student and teacher
- Embodying and teaching the elements of earth, water, fire, air, spirit
- Contacting your own creative fire
- What to practice when? Teaching for different times, seasons, life transitions
Subtle Body Knowledge
- Introduction to the chakras as a model of energy flow
- Layers of being: the koshas
- Rivers of life: nadis and kundalini
- A model of creation: the tattvas
Taking the Seat of Teaching
- Learning a refined, logical system of body alignment for asana and teaching
- How to teach all categories of poses safely and effectively; standing poses, backbends, forward bends, twists, inversions, restoratives
- The art of verbal and manual adjustments
- Peer teaching with feedback
- Building a wave: the craft of sequencing
- Observation and seeing beauty in the student
- Teaching with a theme: how to teach a meaningful, contextualized yoga class
- Finding your inspiration
- Clarifying your unique contribution
- Study and practice groups
- Keeping a sadhana (practice) and insight download journal
- The entire SYA training totals $3,480.
- Accelerated program enrollees can arrange for payment in four installments of $870.
All students enrolled in the 200-hour program will receive six (6) free yoga classes, plus 20% discounted class packages,* at SYA during their training. You can expect to spend about $100 on books. There are no further fees or workshop/retreat costs.
How to Apply:
Visit our website to learn more about the program, prerequisites, and to download an application.
Applications for the Accelerated Program MUST be received by June 1, 2018.
Why Study with Us?
Seattle Yoga Arts is renowned as a studio of depth and excellence in teaching and our core faculty are among the most respected teachers in the Northwest. Since we began our Teacher Training program in 1998, we have trained some of the most beloved teachers in Seattle and beyond. We have had the time and experience to refine our program and we continually refresh our training with current and vital concepts that enhance your potency as a yogi and as a teacher.
Our core faculty members were trained in Anusara yoga and understand that method deeply. We also honor and source the best from the fields of physical therapy, kinesiology, therapeutics, etc. We have a commitment to including the stream of Tantric teaching in our philosophy, while also continually revisiting the root texts of the yoga tradition.
We believe that being a yoga teacher is an honor, a privilege and a never-ending path of growth and service. We have seen over and over that yoga changes lives and know that being part of that evolution is sacred.
Core Faculty: Denise Benitez, Beth Award, Ellen Boyle — all experienced teachers and teacher trainers.
Denise Benitez loves books, dogs, water, movement, dancing, poetry, and the tropics. You’ll find her classes informed by anything from her latest movement fascination to Jungian psychology, all of it anchored by her passion for kinesthetic discovery and wise movement that is sound and effective. Yoga has provided a soul purpose to her life for five decades.
Beth Award: In 1991, Beth took two summer classes: DOS Programming and Yoga. The computer information didn’t stick, but yoga captured her attention from the very first class: she felt taller and quieter (miraculous!). Since 1994, Beth has been a student at Seattle Yoga Arts, and how she evolved to wear a leotard to work is still a bit of a joyful mystery to her. Inspired by Denise and her own “unfolding”, Beth left her corporate job to teach yoga in 2003. She achieved Anusara-Inspired licensing in 2007 and is an E-RYT 200 Registered Yoga Teacher through Yoga Alliance. Beth offers a warm and compassionate instruction style that stems from her love and enthusiasm for the practice. She continues to be inspired, pulled, and prodded by life in all sorts of directions.