- This event has passed.
Floating The Wilds | Rafting and Community Yoga Retreat at John Day River in Oregon
Jun 15, 2014 - Jun 20, 2014| $942.75
Get your summer on with yoga teacher and naturopath Kendall Hassemer and wildlife biologist Aaron Killgore, and float, paddle and swim through five sweet days of wild river adventure, play, community, eco-awareness building, conservation projects, and yoga.
We will journey along the Wild and Scenic portion of the John Day River, twisting through hairpins, oxbows, tall scenic canyons, sloping high grasslands, and the company of wildlife galore — stopping periodically as we go to engage in fun, beneficial conservation projects.
Through twice daily yoga and meditation, personal time, games and discussion, we will explore the natural history and ecology of the area, deepen our yogic life, and walk more lightly on the Earth.
Space is very limited, so don’t miss this unique opportunity to reconnect with yourself and nature — No previous rafting or yoga experience necessary!
As it wends its way north through central Oregon to the Columbia River, the John Day River is the third longest, completely undammed free-flowing river in the contiguous United States. Starting at the Clarno launch in the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument, our route takes us into the Wild and Scenic designated portion of the river, twisting through hairpins, oxbows, tall scenic canyons, and softly sloping high grasslands.
Along the way, we will share company with many species of anadromous and other wild fish, mule deer, bald eagles, peregrine falcons, bighorn sheep, and other wildlife.
Taking in all these delights, and through twice daily yoga practice, personal time and journaling, community times, games and discussion, we will learn about the natural history of the area, its geology and flora and fauna, and the current threats to its ecosystems, what we can do to preserve it.
We will return home refreshed and with a clearer picture of our relationship with the natural world, empowered to deepen our yogic life and to walk more lightly on the Earth.
Included in the package are delicious, gluten-free vegan meals supplying you with the protein, calories and energy you need to enjoy this special vacation to its fullest.
To ensure a quality experience and minimize our impact on the landscape, and comply with Bureau of Land Management regulations, our group size is limited to 12 participants in addition to your professional guides.
Our commercial rafting outfitter for this trip is Ouzel Outfitters, who will not only be providing all the rafting equipment we need, but a whole luxury treatment, with organic meals, tables, chairs, dishes, stoves and even sinks and more!
Come ready to help with paddling, camp set-up and take-down, meal prepping, and other fun community activities.
We will observe the seven Leave No Trace principles and leave the wilderness as clean and beautiful as we found it.
- Professional and experienced outdoors guidance by Ouzel Outfitters and Travel Greenest
- All necessary rafting and related safety, first aid and emergency equipment
- All group camp gear.
- This includes kitchen and utensils, toilets, chairs, tables, sanitation and trash facilities, tarps and games such as horseshoes and/or bocce.
- Large waterproof dry bag for personal belongings (As big as a very large backpack)
- 2 daily yoga classes
- Community-based activities
- Learning about the ecology and natural history of the river and area
- 3 daily delicious gluten-free, vegan meals using organic, mostly local ingredients
- Cooking gear
- Carpooling arrangements to and from Portland
- Help with logistical planning, packing and pre-trip planning
- Transportation costs to and from your home
- Personal items
- Snack food
- Personal camping equipment, such as tents, sleeping bags & pads
Early Bird Registration for this yoga retreat is: $849.75 until May 23rd