- This event has passed.
Outdoor Recreation Leadership
Sep 19, 2022 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm| $476 – $715
The Outdoor Recreation Leadership Certificate is designed to prepare students for a wide range of personal and/or professional opportunities in recreation, outdoor leadership, and education. Students learn both in the classroom and with field-based experiential learning in the forest, waterways, and mountains of the Pacific Northwest Cascades.
This 19-credit certificate program may be completed part-time in as little as three quarters. Students interested in developing a life-long wellness plan that includes outdoor adventure activities may elect to complete this certificate as an area of study in fulfillment of elective requirements for the AAS-T.
The Outdoor Recreation Leadership Certificate previously went by as the Wilderness Skills Certificate but was changed to encompass more areas of the outdoors.
I really enjoyed the Wilderness Skills Program at Bellevue College. I have learned many new skills as well as amazing destinations for hiking, kayaking, rock climbing, and snowshoeing. In looking at making a career in this field, there were many opportunities for learning how to design and lead great activities. Overall, I appreciated the community of students and instructors as well as the emphasis on health and wellness.
-Adam Cypress, Wilderness Skills Certificate Graduate
Recommended Course Sequence
|RECED 260: NW Fitness Exploration – 2 credits||HLTH 260: Wilderness First Aid Basics – 4 credits||PE 239: Outdoor Leadership – 4 credits|
|HLTH 145: Wellness for Health Professionals – 3 credits (offered fall, winter, spring)||HLTH 224 – Wellness Coaching – 2 credits||PE Elective from list below|
|PE Elective from list below||PE Elective from list below||PE Elective from list below|
Who is this certificate for?
Students may complete the Wilderness Skills Certificate Program in preparation for:
- Entry-level employment in the growing adventure education field
- Completing a Washington State Physical Education Teaching Certificate
- Completing the Health & Wellness, BAS degree at Bellevue College
- Transferring and completing a Recreational Leadership Degree at another institution
- A lifetime of educated PNW outdoor recreation and leadership
Where do outdoor adventure leaders work?
- City Recreation Departments
- University Outdoor Programs
- Summer Camps
- Residential Camps
- Boys/Girls Clubs
- Church Education Centers
- Adventure Equipment Sales
- Adventure Outfitters
- Employee Fitness Programs
Choice of FOUR credits throughout certification program:
- PE 114: Beginning Rock Climbing – 1 credit
- PE 115: Backpacking and Orienteering – 1 credit
- PE 116: Snowshoeing – 1 credit
- PE 124: Intermedia Rock Climbing – 1 credit
- PE 128: Sea Kayaking & Navigation – 1 credit
- PE 255: Ski Instructor Training – 2 credits
- PE 256: Mountain Bike Instructor – 2 credits
Want to advertise a yoga event? Book it directly on our advertising page or Contact us with the details.