- This event has passed.
The Power of Somatic Awareness and True Embodiment
Sep 22, 2018| $140 – $1095
Weekend #1: Sep. 22nd – 23rd, 2018: Shoulder Girdle
Weekend #2: Oct. 20th – 21st, 2018: Sacrum and Pelvis
Weekend #3: Jan. 26th – 27th, 2019: Somatic Awareness
Weekend #4: Feb. 23rd – 24th, 2019: Anatomy of Breath and the Deep Core
(You will receive detailed handouts from each weekend.)
- FALL 2018/WINTER 2019 Saturdays and Sundays
- 1:00 PM – 6:30 PM
WEEKEND #1: THE SHOULDER GIRDLE:
Tools for Injury Prevention and Recovery
Sep. 22nd – 23rd, 2018
Often shoulder cuff injuries, arthritis and other conditions occur because of poor posture and/or movement patterns. Targeted exercises won’t help unless we can recognize the underlying cause and work from there. During our time together we will:
- Explore simple yet powerful dynamic alignment principles of the shoulder girdle to reduce wear and tear.
- Apply these principles to yoga asanas, allowing for greater ease in practice. You may find that you can do things that you weren’t able to before!
- Gain observational skills to recognize imbalances in others including students or private clients.
- Learn gentle and clear assists to guide your students towards balance and health.
WEEKEND #2: THE SACRUM AND PELVIS
Oct. 20th – 21st, 2018
Lower back pain and injury can occur when our bones are moving out of their natural alignment. These chronic habits over time can create wear and tear on muscles and degeneration of joints. In this immersion you will:
- Expand understanding of the dynamic and complex relationship between the sacrum, pelvic halves and thigh bones, and how they can move in relationship for greater ease and efficiency.
- Discover a deep sense of effortlessness that comes from moving WITH NATURE rather than against it!
- Receive tools to help you let go of nagging lower back pain and sciatica
- Experience a transformative practice called “Constructive Rest” which allows for deep release of tension in the joints.
- Learn key observational skills to recognize movement and postural patterns in others and gentle, clear assists to guide people towards balance.
WEEKEND #3: SOMATIC AWARENESS
Jan. 26th – 27th, 2019
The Developmental Movement Patterns are innate patterns embedded in our DNA that provide the foundation of all movement from in utero to where we are now. With injury or illness, patterns can weaken yet with awareness we can learn to regain our connection and greatly improve our wellbeing! During this weekend we will:
- Deepen understanding of the neuromuscular system and the Developmental Movement Patterns
- Learn how these patterns can support injury recovery, neurological disorders such as MS and Traumatic Brain Injury, as well as other conditions effecting memory, balance and strength.
- Explore ways of using language and gentle assists to guide students to experience these patterns in yoga practice.
- Expand full body connectivity and gain a deeper connection to your SELF.
WEEKEND #4: ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY OF BREATH AND THE DEEP CORE
Feb. 23rd – 24th, 2019
We will incorporate creative imagery to:
- Connect to the multi-dimensional movement of the diaphragm helping to expand breath and support full body connectivity.
- Enjoy a deeply restorative yoga practice where we will apply our awareness of the anatomy of breath for opening and relaxation.
- Deepen awareness of the multi-layered core including its neuromuscular framework, fascia and organ system.
- Explore a wonderful practice for Healthy Organ Suspension!
- Discover the essential role of the Psoas for back health, injury prevention and recovery.
IN ADDITION TO A STAND-ALONE PROGRAM, THIS IMMERSION ALSO SERVES AS MODULE THREE OF OUR 300-HOUR YOGA TEACHER TRAINING PROGRAM! CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE FULL TRAINING.
REGISTRATION: Registration option for this entire 4-part module:
- $995 if registered and paid in full by Sep. 1st, 2018
- $1,095 on or after Sep. 2nd, 2018
Option for Day #1 only workshop registration (Detailed handouts will be provided at each of the workshops):
- Weekend #1 Day #1 (The Shoulder Girdle): Saturday only: $140
- Weekend #2 Day #1 (The Sacrum and Pelvis): Saturday only: $140
- Weekend #3 Day #1 (Somatic Awareness): Saturday only: $140
- Weekend #4 Day #1 (Anatomy and Physiology of Breath): Saturday only: $140
- Weekend #4 Day #2 (Anatomy of the Psoas) Sunday only: $140
About the Instructor: Christy Fisher
Christy is a 500-Hour certified Kripalu Yoga teacher; Certified Yoga Therapist with the International Association of Yoga Therapy (C-IAYT) and a practitioner of yoga for over 25 years. Christy also holds a long time interest in somatic awareness and has been fortunate to study with some of the most influential teachers in the field including Bonnie Bainbridge Cohen, Martha Myers, Martha Eddy and Peggy Hackney along with receiving certification from the Laban/Bartenieff Institute of Movement Studies (NYC).
Christy enjoys teaching people of all ages and backgrounds, specializing in adapting practices to meet individual needs. Her approach is gentle yet deep and always includes an emphasis on acceptance and mindfulness. Along with directing Phinney Ridge Yoga, she has taught for the National MS Society Washington State Chapter, Cancer Lifeline, and the Washington State Traumatic Brain Injury Association.
Christy Fisher, Phinney Ridge Yoga, Yoga Teacher Training Seattle, Yoga Training Seattle