- This event has passed.
Street Yoga advanced yoga service training
Jun 26, 2015| $290 – $325
This is the first of a series of Level 2 training options for those looking to dive deeper into the field of yoga service. The Advanced Yoga Service Training is a 14-hour weekend training led by Street Yoga’s Founder, Mark Lilly. This training is specifically tailored for those who have completed Street Yoga’s Trauma-Informed Yoga Training or have been active in the field of yoga service for more than one year.
The curriculum emphasizes the importance of a personal practice, including self-care and nurturing good community. This training picks up where the Trauma-Informed Yoga Training left off; we take a more in-depth look at the effects of mindfulness and yoga practices on overcoming trauma, and how they help clients build capacity to create resilient, meaningful lives for themselves and their families.
*Two more Level 2 trainings are in development. The first is meant for individuals with a yoga background, who are interested in learning more about how the effects of trauma on the brain, youth development, a deeper dive into teaching yoga for vulnerable groups, and more! The second Level 2, will be tailored for youth workers, medical professionals, educators, and mental health practitioners to bolster their yoga, pranayama and mindfulness tool belts.
The training takes places over the course of 3 days:
- Friday 6/26 from 5:30pm to 9:30pm
- Saturday 6/27 from 12:00pm to 6:00pm
- Sunday 6/28 from 10:00am to 4:00pm
Each day of training includes learning by doing, seeing, and listening through the following:
- Yoga practice
- Breathing exercises & meditation
- Sample scenarios and group problem-solving
- Short lecture-style sessions with Q & A
- Break-out small group sessions
- Role playing and skills practice
- Student teaching and feedback opportunities
Street Yoga recognizes the extremely diverse ways in which people practice and teach their yoga. Just as we see the unique traits that make each youth different, we also recognize that each trainee has a distinct relationship with yoga and his or her own individual preferences and beliefs about how to practice. Because of this, Street Yoga does not promote a single methodology for bringing yoga to youth and does not supply trainees with ready-made lists of postures or sequences. Instead, we encourage our trainees to explore how to teach what they already know in a heartfelt and authentic way that will help them engage in yoga service.
We strive for all training participants to increase their emotional, cognitive and physical sense of well-being, mental clarity and resilience, so that they can help affect the increase of these same qualities in their clients. The training will offer tools for the development of practices to decrease professional stress and secondary trauma that are low-risk and are not time intensive.
Training participants gain:
- Tools for on-the-ground application of yoga service
- Understanding of how to build resilience for you and your clients
- Insight into trauma in the context of yoga service
- Tools for decreasing risk and mitigating affects of secondary trauma
- Skills for developing a personal mindfulness portfolio
- Best practices for client-led evaluation
The cost for the training is $325 but sign up by May 29th and only pay $290.