Join Yoga Behind Bars (YBB), a growing grassroots nonprofit, based in Seattle, WA. We share trauma-informed yoga and meditation with people who are incarcerated to promote rehabilitation, personal transformation, and a just society for all.
We seek a committed individual with experience in co-facilitation, yoga and/or other mindful movement practices, who embodies a strong anti-racism and social justice lens, and an ability to travel throughout Washington and out of state to facilitate Trauma-Informed Yoga Trainings. This position reports the Program Director. You will also work closely with 2-3 other facilitators. Expect to contribute curriculum ideas, learn a ton, and make a difference in the communities that host our training.
Facilitator responsibilities will include:
Training and Facilitation. 90%
Co-facilitate YBB’s Trauma-Informed Yoga Training throughout Washington State and Beyond including modules on:
- Mass Incarceration
- Race and Social Justice
- Trauma-Informed Yoga and Mindfulness
- Boundaries and Self-Care
- Neuroscience of Trauma and Yoga
Planning and Training Follow-Up. 10%
Collaborate with Program Director and Co-Facilitators to plan and determine roles for each training. Debrief and provide feedback post-training.
Required skills and traits
- Ability to convey passion for the mission of Yoga Behind Bars;
- Demonstrated commitment toward personal and professional anti-racist work;
- Group facilitation and/or training experience;
- Ability to independently organize and prioritize time and tasks;
- Collaborative and communicative;
- Able to receive and give direct feedback within a team of co-facilitators;
- Clear, engaging, and persuasive presentation style and communication;
- Consistent access to email and internet;
- Ability to travel throughout Washington state and nationally;
- Minimum one-year commitment.
Preferred qualifications and skills
- Personal and/or professional experience with criminal justice system;
- Experience teaching trauma-informed yoga;
- Experience facilitating conversations about race and social justice;
- Multiple-year commitment.
This job is a temporary, part-time position and quantity of hours depends on number of trainings booked by YBB Program Director, but will typically be four to five 3-day trainings per year with room to grow.
This position has a non-flexible start date of October 7, 2019 with an expected 35 hours (mixed in-person in Seattle and remote) of training in the first 30 days plus paid attendance at our Seattle training Oct 30-Nov 1.
Expect to travel for trainings both throughout Washington State and nationally.
Compensation starts at $25 per hour throughout training and shadowing period, guaranteed increase to minimum $35 per hour upon completion of training. For non-Seattle trainings, YBB covers all travel costs and provides a per diem stipend.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and 2 references attached in email to Jess Frank, Program Director at firstname.lastname@example.org with Trauma-Informed Yoga Training Facilitator in the subject line. Please do not paste your resume in the body of the email.
Consideration will be given to applications as soon as they are received with a start date of October 7, 2019.
Yoga Behind Bars values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, LGBTQ persons, formerly incarcerated people, and other people from diverse backgrounds. People from these or other backgrounds and communities are strongly encouraged to apply.