- This event has passed.
8 Limbs 200 hr Modular Teacher Training
October 11| $3700
Training Yoga Teachers in Seattle since 2002.
The 8 Limbs Modular Training is made up of ten weekend immersions from October through April, with reading and writing assignments to supplement and specialize class hours. This training option offers the opportunity to spread your time commitment and studies over the course of 7 months.
Our training is a great fit for both the aspiring teacher and the dedicated practitioner ready to learn more. Completion of the 10 weekends in our Modular Training are required for those seeking 200-hour RYT (Registered Yoga Teacher) Certification.
Whatever level of commitment you choose, the Modular Training offers excellent opportunities to deepen your yogic knowledge and self-study in a supportive community!
Want to hear about our Teacher Trainings in person? Join us for a free Info Session.
Included in the Modular Training (180 approximate hours of study and practice):
Yoga Sutra 2:46: sthira-sukham asanam
“Posture (asana) [should be] stable (sthira) and comfortable (sukha)”
Asana, Pranayama, and Restoratives (90 hours)
- Learn to practice and skillfully teach poses through greater understanding of anatomy, energetic actions and modifications
- Understand specific benefits of postures and pranayama for building a personal practice or for working with a wide range of students
- Practice modifications for injuries and/or special needs
- Adjustments and assisting to meet individual needs
- Learn contraindications for foundational poses
“If anything is sacred, the human body is sacred”.
– Walt Whitman
Anatomy and Physiology (25 hours)
- Explore foundational concepts and terminology for the entire body
- Learn the names of common bones and muscles to support popular asanas
- Experiential classes weaving anatomical concepts and principles into poses
- Understand pathology and contraindications to keep your students safe
- Body systems – learn what the organs of the body do and how they are affected by asanas
- Energetic anatomy – nervous system to bandhas and chakras
“Teaching is not an imposition of the teacher’s will over that of the pupil, not at all. Teaching starts with freedom and ends with freedom.”
– Vanda Scaravelli
Art of Teaching/Teaching Practice and Sequencing (25 hours)
- Dive into the 8 Limbs Teaching Template to design a diverse range of classes from Intro Series, Basics, Vinyasa Flow, to Anatomical Themed classes
- Art of Teaching classes emphasize teaching, observation and assisting principles
- Monthly practice sessions teaching in small groups or one-on-one
- Create monthly sequences with Mentor feedback
- Learn inclusive language for teaching diverse groups
“Yoga is the journey of the self, through the self, to the self”
The Bhagavad Gita
Philosophy, Ayurveda and Yogic Lifestyle (25 hours)
- Experience the Yoga sutras and learn how to bring them to life in your in practice, relations, and meditation practice
- Conversation on the Dharma (wisdom teachings) of the Sutras
- Introductory look at meditation and mindfulness. Students will focus on meditation posture, concentration techniques, body-based mindfulness practices and inquiry into the inner workings of the mind.
- Familiarize yourself with the many traditional paths of yoga
- Learn basic Sanskrit for common poses
- How to use the chakras for personal growth and in designing asana classes
- Use the 5 Elements in Ayurveda to understand your unique constitution and create healthy routines
“True happiness is when the love that is within us finds expression in external activities.”
Tools to Thrive as a Teacher (15 hours)
- Business of yoga class to explore the many ways to make a living as a teacher and how to set up realistic goals after graduating
- How to prepare for yoga auditions and apply for teaching positions
- Participate in engaging conversations such as, Holding Inclusive Space class which explores concepts: unpacking unconscious bias, body positive and inclusive language for teachers, and making agreements for safe space
- Conversations in ethics for teachers to understand the value of boundaries, policy and personal practice
- 8 Limbs Teacher Training Manual
- 3-6 hours per week reading and homework
- Participation in 4 1-hour Q & A sessions with Faculty
- Minimum two years yoga asana practice and 6 months personal practice at start of training
- Attendance of all ten training modules*
- Completion of required reading list and homework
- Attendance at one asana class per week at 8 Limbs (10 during training for out-of-town participants)
- Membership at 8 Limbs is offered to 8 Limbs Teacher Trainees at a discounted rate.
- Passing grade on take home final exam
- Research Paper on topic of choice
Upon completing all requirements, participants will be awarded a Certificate of Completion. With this they may apply for 200 RYT Certification through The Yoga Alliance.
* Missed classes due to emergency or illness may be made up by listening to recorded classes and following up with instructor.
200 hr Modular Teacher Training, 8 Limbs Capitol Hill, 8 Limbs Phinney Ridge, 8 Limbs Yoga Wedgwood, Anne Phyfe Palmer, Chiara Guerrieri, Claudette Evans, Jenny Hayo, Melina Meza, RW Alves