Yoga is a way to have fun, relax and stay healthy. There are many different poses to practice and master. My name is Anastasija Fruehling, and I am the youngest female certified yoga instructor in America. I love and enjoy yoga very much, and here are seven of my favorite yoga poses for kids, by kids.
These challenging yoga poses for kids will give them better balance, flexibility and keep them healthy. And give them something to show off at school.
#1 Cobra pose (Ardha Bhujangasana)
· Stretches your whole back
· Relieves back aches
· Helps with stiff backs
1. Lie on your stomach
2. Place your hands next to your chest
3. Then try to straighten your arms
4. Arch as much as you can
Tip: Remember, try to stretch yourself as much as you can, but don’t hurt yourself.
#2 Headstand Pose (Salamba Sirsasana)
· Improves your balance
· Fun to do
· Fun to show your friends!
1. Place your hands on the floor
2. Then bend your arms and place your head in the middle of your arms.
3. Slowly bring your legs up
4. And hold as long as you can.
Tip: Remember, don’t overdo this. In this pose, you are putting lot of weight on your neck. If at any time you feel a slight pain anywhere, stop. This pose should not cause any pain. Its purpose is to help with balance.
#3 Dancers Reverse Arm Pose (Exclusive pose)
· Stretching back and legs
· Helps balance
1. Place one foot in front of you
2. Take your right leg with your right arm
3. Then try to grab your right leg with your left arm
4. Straighten your leg as much as you can
Tip: Don’t forget to switch legs.
#4 Forward Bend (Paschimottanasana)
· Stretches your hamstrings and lower back
· Looks cool!
1. Sit down on the floor
2. Place both legs in front of you
3. Clasp your hands next to your ears
4. Then place your hands over your feet and your chest on your knees
Tip: Try touching your stomach to your legs.
#5 Camel Pose (Ustrasana)
· Stretches your lower back
· Opens up your lungs
· Helps with a stiff or aching back
· Fun to do!
1. Get on your knees
2. Place your hands next to your ankles
3. Then slowly bring your chest up
4. Hold it as long as you can
Tip: If you feel pain, STOP!
#6 Feet Apart Dolphin Pose
· Stretches your shoulders, upper back and back of legs
· Relaxes you
· Relieves stress
· Clears your mind
· Keeps you fit and healthy
· Relieves body pain (like stomach pain and headaches)
1. Place your hands and feet on the floor
2. Make sure your feet are apart from each other and faced forward
3. Then place your elbows on the ground
4. Look at your feet and lean backwards
5. Try to stretch as much as you can
Tip: Try to keep your feet pointed forward to stretch your muscles more.
#7 Catching cobra pose (Exclusive pose)
· Stretches the whole back
· Looks cool!
Interested in more content like this? Get social with us:
Join your Tribe by Subscribing to the Seattle Yoga Community Weekly Update.
- 7 of my favorite yoga poses for kids - Aug 10, 2015