- This event has passed.
History of Yoga and the Art of Teaching Meditation Training
Mar 3, 2017| $335
History of Yoga and the Art of Teaching Meditation
March 3rd-5th 2017
This module is designed for teachers who have already completed a 200-Hr yoga teacher training, and wish to accumulate 300 credits toward their 500-Hr certification. Or for the curious practitioner who simply wishes to deepen his or her knowledge of yoga.
You will learn a detailed history of yoga from Indus Valley Civilization till Modern times:
- Indus Valley Civilizations – their art history, agricultural and architectural achievements. Possible religiosity of Indus Valley civilization.
- Rigveda, including the Upanishads. How parts of the Rigveda fit into the timeline of history.
- Development of classic period. The Gita and its historical context. The Yoga Sutras (8 limbs of yoga )and their historical context. Who was Patanjali and where he obtained his sources.
- Introducing the time of Buddha. How and why Buddhism, Jainism and Tantric ideology developed.
- The birth of non-dualism.
- Expanding on Tantric times and literature.
- Modern yoga. British times. Assimilation in the west. Swami Vivekananda and Gandhi. Historical background and theological development of the modern concept of yoga. (This is really a “reformation” of Hinduism, a reformulation of old ideas into progressive 20th century ideal.)
- Yogananda: The origins of ‘Oneness’ spirituality. Advocating cultural and philosophical understanding between East and West.
- Krishnamacharya’s lineage. Origins of modern asanas. Development of further asanas and opening the practice to more people other than Brahman boys through Desikachar.
- Iyengar and Pattabhi Jois, and the development of two major asana ideologies
- The goal of meditation in its historical concept, and how to re-interpret ancient text to fit modern needs.
- Practice using your voice as a vehicle to mindfully guide the intellectual, emotional and spiritual spaces.
- How to handle emotional responses and releases during practice.
Price of this module: $335
This module is designed for teachers who have already completed a 200-Hr yoga teacher training, and wish to accumulate 300 credits toward their 500-Hr certification OR for the curious practitioner who simply wishes to deepen his or her knowledge of yoga.
To receive your 300-Hr diploma from Spira you must complete all 15 modules within 4 years and pass the final exam and presentation.
Family and Work Friendly Schedule for Weekend Modules:
Fridays, 6:00pm – 10:00pm
Saturdays, 11:30am – 4:00pm
Sundays, 11:30am – 3:30pm